Thursday, March 26, 2009

Random Thoughts...

Just a few thoughts...don't worry...their quick (and hopefully not long rambling like my previous posts...just short rambling).

I've begun to realize that its harder and harder to describe what I am doing day by day...at first I thought it was because I just couldn't remember what had happened (which could still be true) but after reading some of Anthony Bourdain's "The Nasty Bits" he shed light on what I now see as the cause of my writer's block:

"It's an irritating reality that many places and events defy description. Angkor Wat (which I hope to see on my trip) and Machu Picchu, for instance, seem to demand silence, like a love affair you can never talk about. For a while after, you fumble for words, trying vainly to assemble a private narrative, an explanation, a comfortable way to frame where you've been and what's happened. In the end, you're just happy you were there - with your eyes open - and lived to see it." from Preface - pg XII

After I read that I literally had shivers...as if Bourdain had read my mind and wrote what I was thinking in his book...

And now the ramblings...

Today I was saved from making an impulse purchase. A rather expensive one, at that. Don't bother asking what or how much it would've cost, because I won't tell you. Just know that it wasn't break the bank expensive but it was something unnecessary especially considering I am trying to spend as little money as possible. I am glad my credit card didn't work, for once...

Also today I lost my bible...otherwise known as my Taiwan Lonely Planet. This is kind of unfortunate for a variety of reasons. The biggest is I can no longer use its vast knowledge of the island...all the stuff I have seen I wouldn't have really known about had I not read this book. As well, and of greater concern at the time of loss was that I no longer had a map of the sprawling city that I was walking around and had to rely on my (awful) navigation skills to get me around. Even worse, I was on a 5 KM walk to see this giant laughing buddha and I really had no idea where it was, especially without the handy map in the book. Still, I walked around listening to some music for a few (read: 5) hours and then managed to make my way back to my hotel and eventually the train station...phew.

Also, I love Buddhas...big, giant Buddhas. I have seen a few in my travels and they never get old, no matter how similar they are to each other. Had I made it to the aforementioned laughing Buddha it would've been my 2nd in 3 days. The first being on Monday in Changua...very gorgeous, sitting on top of a mountain! If you are in Taiwan and haven't been to Changua, go do it.

...another place to go see if you haven't yet is Sun Moon Lake. I only stayed there for a couple hours but it was absolutely stunning. And very easy to get to from Changua...

Lastly I have been listening to Susan Tedeschi's new album Back to the River and it is fantastic. Particularly the song "Revolutionize your Soul"...check it out

Well that's it for now...so much for the writer's block I guess...I will try and post some pictures soonishly...

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment