Monday, May 4, 2009

How much do you think we can get for a Lao child??

Well then.

Cambodia was fricken awesome. I spent a week there (roughly) and it has been a highlight for sure. Phnom Phen, while only being there for one night, was so charming that I could've stayed there for quite some time. While I was checking out the Royal Palace it started to down pour, so I just sat and chatted with fellow travellers while we waited it out. Once it stopped I ventured back to the street to get back to my hostel and wouldn't ya know it...the streets were all flooded! I am talking about water to the waist and kids pushing cars around because they hadn't gotten stuck. All you could do was smile and start "swimming". Just watching all the Cambodians swimming and laughing and loving the flooded streets made me smile and enjoy it myself. It was a great intro to the country!

Siem Reap was another amazing city. I stayed at a great hostel called the Garden Village. 3 dollar rooms and 50 cent pints at the rooftop restaurant made for unreal time. The temples of Angkor were outstanding as well. It had been awhile since I had gotten some culture and I was craving it. The temples did not dissapoint. In no particular order my favourites were Pre Rup, Bayon, Ta Phrom and of course Angkor Wat itself. If you ever have a chance to get out to SouthEast Asia and are not sure where to go, Siem Reap should be a must see near the top of anyone's list.

After that, took the long way into Laos (Siem Reap to the border at PoiPet, bus to Bangkok, night train to Nong Khai and then into Vientianne) I have been here a couple days and its such a great time I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Today, in Luang Prabang, a group of us from my hostel went out to a small village and played volleyball in the Mekong River with a dozen or so Laos children and then ate some delicious food prepared just for us!

A couple more days here and then a two day boat ride up to Huay Xia (sp?) to do the Gibbons Experience (www.gibbonx.org for more info) and then a crazy Plane sked involving Chiang Rai > Bangkok > Singapore > Hong Kong > back home...

See you all in a couple days!

No comments:

Post a Comment